2016 Kentucky mortgage waiting period for foreclosures and short sales for specific situations
Kentucky Conventional Loans
Kentucky FHA Loans
Kentucky VA Loans
Kentucky USDA Loans
: 3 years from foreclosure completion date or sheriff sale of home
: 3 years from short-sale closing date
What Credit Score do You Need to Buy a Home?
When it comes to mortgages and credit scores, there are two really important questions to ask:
–What credit score do I need to qualify for a mortgage?
–What credit score do I need to get the lowest interest rate on a mortgage?
These different but related questions are important if you are looking to buy a home. And the second question is particularly important. With a high FICO score, you can literally save tens of thousands of dollars in interest over the life of a home loan. So let’s take a look at both questions. And if you don’t know you score, be sure to get you free credit score.
What credit score do you need to qualify for a mortgage?
The first thing to keep in mind is that qualifying for a mortgage involves a lot more than just a credit score. While your FICO score is a very important ingredient, it is just one factor. Lenders also look at your income and level of debt, among other things.
As a rule of thumb, however, a credit score below 620 will make buying a home very difficult. A FICO score below 620 is considered sub-prime. In the past there were mortgage companies that specialized in sub-prime mortgages. Because of the challenges in the credit market over the last year or so, however, sub-prime loans have become difficult if not impossible to obtain.
A FICO score between 620 and 650 is considered fair to good credit. But keep in mind, this range of credit scores does not guarantee you will qualify for a mortgage, and if you do qualify, it won’t get you the lowest interest rate possible. Still, to buy a home aim for a score of at least 620, recognizing that other factors weigh in the decision and that some banks may require a higher score.
What credit score do you need to get a low rate mortgage?
It use to be that a score of about 720 would yield the lowest mortgage rates available. Today, the best rates kick in with a FICO score of 760. And interest rates go up significantly as your credit score drops. To give you an idea, the following table shows current rates by credit score and calculates a monthly principal and interest payment based on a $300,000 loan:
|Co-branded Daily Rate Report for:|
KHC down payment assistance | FHA, VA or Rural Housing Kentucky
***Kentucky housing IMPORTANT GUIDELINES*** KHC Guidelines
Jefferson, Oldham and Bullitt Co. requirements for New Bond Funds:
Maximum purchase price: $258,000
Maximum household income limits: $ 61,500 (1 or 2 person households) $70,725 ( 3 or more in the household)
Maximum DTI ratios with AUS approve/eligible: 40/45
Minimum credit score: 620 for govt. loans (FHA, VA and Rural Housing)
Maximum seller paid fees: 6.0% of purchase price
Borrower must be: 1st time homebuyer OR purchase in a “targeted” county (note: Jefferson, Bullitt and
Oldham Counties are NOT “targeted counties).
U.S. citizen or resident alien
Purchasing a primary residence to owner occupy
Kentucky Housing recognizes that down payments, closing costs and prepaids are stumbling blocks for many potential home buyers. Here are several loan programs to help. Your KHC-approved lender can help you apply for the program that meets your needs.
KHC Loan Programs
A Mortgage Credit Certificates (MCC) reduces the amount of federal income tax you pay, giving you more available income to qualify for a mortgage loan. MCCs are NOT mortgages. They are tax credits that put extra cash in your pocket each month, so you can more easily afford a house payment. That means fewer tax dollars will be withheld from your regular paycheck, increasing your take-home pay. The federal government allows every homeowner an income tax deduction for all the interest paid each year on a mortgage loan. But an MCC gives you a tax credit of 25 percent (not to exceed $2,000). You can still deduct the remaining 75 percent interest on your income taxes. A tax credit is not the same as a tax deduction. A tax deduction reduces the portion of your income that is taxed, so you pay less. A tax credit is a direct, dollar for dollar reduction in the total tax you owe. The MCC is effective for the life of the loan as long as you live in the home. If you sell your home in the first nine years of ownership, you may be subject to Federal Recapture Tax.
New Construction Program for Single-Parent, Disabled and Elderly Households offers loans for newly constructed houses at interest rates from 1 to 6 percent. These limited funds are available, usually in July, on a first-come, first-served basis.
Applying for a Kentucky Housing loan is easy. Just contact us at 502-905-3708 or email us at
firstname.lastname@example.org for an application..It’s free –What are you waiting for?